Fuente: EarthRights International (ERI).
EarthRights International (ERI), busca un(a) abogado(a) comprometido(a) y altamente calificado(a) para formular y supervisar la implementación de estrategias locales y regionales para proteger los derechos humanos y el medio ambiente en la región amazónica, especialmente en las comunidades indígenas.
Posición: Líder del equipo legal Amazonia (tiempo completo)
Fecha límite: abierto hasta que se llene la vacante.
Fecha de inicio: Tan pronto como sea posible.
Reporta a: Director Jurídico.
Ubicación: Lima, Perú.
La convocatoria completa está en inglés abajo:
Job Opening: Amazon Legal Team Leader
EarthRights International (ERI) seeks a highly qualified, committed attorney to formulate and supervise the implementation of local and regional strategies to protect human rights and the environment in the Amazon region, especially in indigenous communities.
Position: Amazon Legal Team Leader (full-time)
Deadline: Open until filled;
Start date: as soon as possible
Reports to: Legal Director
Location: Lima, Peru
The principal job responsibilities include:
- Working with ERI’s Legal Director and Amazon-based staff to oversee the legal work of the Amazon team and budget of the Amazon Legal Program
- Managing the legal work of the Amazon team in order to carry forward innovative approaches for protecting rights
- Overseeing the use of domestic Peruvian legal actions and actions in the Inter-American system to protect human rights and the environment
- Working with lawyers (especially indigenous lawyers) on local and trans-national strategies throughout the region
- Leading trainings of judges and lawyers on human rights, environmental, and indigenous rights issues in Peru and regionally
- Providing legal support for alumni of ERI’s EarthRights Amazon School
- Formulating ERI’s overall approach to protecting earth rights in the Amazon region, in conjunction with the Amazon Program Director and Senior Amazon Counsel
The Amazon Legal Team Leader may also be asked to:
- Work on trainings of indigenous communities and leaders
- Help maintain organizational relationships with other NGOs, indigenous federations, and other partners in the region
- Assist the U.S. and Mekong legal teams where appropriate, including with litigating arising in the Amazon region and proceeding in U.S. courts
- Oversee the hiring of Amazon legal interns
- Participate in the hiring and supervision of Amazon-based legal staff
- Liaise with ERI’s Communications and Development teams, as well as ERI’s U.S. and Asia offices, to coordinate and provide information about Amazon legal activities
- Participate in public communications and development meetings, and draft communications and development materials regarding Amazon legal work
- License to practice law in Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Bolivia, Venezuela, or Brazil
- At least 5-10 years of relevant experience focusing on human rights, environmental, and/or indigenous rights issues in the Amazon region
- Litigation experience
- A working knowledge of the Inter-American system
- Spanish and English fluency are required
- A demonstrated commitment to human rights and environmental justice
- Solid technical legal skills, good judgment and initiative, and ability to work within a team
- Strong interpersonal skills, experience working with individuals from different cultural backgrounds, and a good sense of humor
- Experience in managing and supervising legal work
- Knowledge of Portuguese is preferred
- Education and/or experience in human rights and/or environmental law, related regional studies, development, or another related field
- A locally competitive NGO salary; depending on experience and qualifications, the position may be hired at ERI’s Director or Coordinator level
- Benefits including private medical insurance and paid vacation, sick and personal days
- A casual, and fun, work environment
To Apply: Applicants should email the following to apply-amazon@:
- 1 page cover letter, in English
- 1-2 page resume, in English
- List of 3-5 references with phone numbers and email addresses
- 3-5 page sample or excerpt of unedited legal or legal advocacy writing, in both Spanish and English (or, at a minimum, in the applicant’s second language)
EarthRights International is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices.