The Interamerican Association for Environmental Defense (AIDA) is seeking a full-time legal advisor to strengthen the work of our Freshwater Preservation and Human Rights and the Environment programs in the Andean region (Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru). The position is open to Latin American lawyers (preferably from the aforementioned Andean countries) with experience in international environmental law and public interest litigation on environmental issues, particularly those relating to mega-development projects. Applicants must demonstrate a clear commitment to work on issues of public interest and have an excellent professional and academic background.
AIDA is a hemispheric non-governmental organization that seeks to strengthen people’s capacity to ensure their individual and collective right to a healthy environment through the development, implementation and enforcement of national and international law.
· Supporting AIDA’s co-executive directors – in coordination with the rest of the team – in the development of strategies and implementation of work in the Andean region, including by identifying goals, targets and new projects and by designing and implementing a strategic work plan;
· Develop, coordinate and implement strategic projects at the national and international level with a focus on mega hydropower and mining projects in the Andean region;
· Write and edit reports and other documents related to the activities of the work plan;
· Supervise the work of interns, volunteers and lawyers with less experience on the team.
· Assist in communications work to publicize cases and precedents, including by writing press releases, web pages, blog posts and articles, and by representing AIDA before the media when necessary;
· Assist in fundraising, preparing and editing reports and proposals to foundations;
· Contribute to AIDA’s education and training activities in the hemisphere, including by coordinating with our participating organizations and preparing training materials for lawyers and other organizations;
· Participate in AIDA’s internal development and capacity building.
· Law degree and professional license in a Latin American country, preferably in an Andean country where the work will be focused;
· Graduate degree in areas related to our work;
· Minimum of five years of relevant work experience;
· Familiarity with regional environmental issues, in particular those related to mega infrastructure and mining projects;
· Clear, excellent and professional writing and public speaking skills;
· Fluency in written and spoken English;
· Willingness to travel;
· Good capacity to use programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook;
· Demonstrated leadership, legal judgment, initiative, proactiveness and the ability to think strategically and develop creative and innovative solutions.
· Excellent communication, organization and time management skills;
· Ability to work under pressure to meet multiple deadlines;
· High level of personal motivation, commitment to work in public interest, and excellent teamwork;
· Knowledge of international environmental law;
· Cultural sensitivity and the ability to work in a dynamic and multicultural environment with people from different economic, social and political situations.
Terms and Conditions:
· Location: Andean region;
· Fees: Negotiable based on experience and workplace;
· Contract: Independent contractor for one year, with the possibility of renewal each year.
· Letter of interest in the position, indicating relevant experience and why you would be an ideal candidate for the job;
· Curriculum vitae or résumé;
· A short writing sample in Spanish (no more than two pages);
· A short writing sample in English (no more than two pages);
· Three references (at least one reference must be from a recent employer).
· Applicants must submit all the application materials to email@example.com (please mention “ANDEAN REGION ADVISOR” in the subject line of the email).
PLEASE APPLY BEFORE DECEMBER 20, 2013. WE WILL MAKE A JOB OFFER WHEN WE FIND A QUALIFIED CANDIDATE, SO IT IS IMPORTANT TO SEND YOUR DOCUMENTS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
ESTIMATED START DATE: ASAP.
AIDA maintains a policy of providing equal opportunity to all qualified persons and reaffirms its commitment that there shall be no discrimination against qualified applicants, employees or volunteers on the basis of age, ancestry, color, creed, disability, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, sex, sexual orientation or veteran’s status.